A. The policy of GPCB in this regard is as per the provisions laid down in the notification published by the MoEF, GoI, under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 on 'Recycle Plastic (Manufacture And Usage) Rules, 1999' has now been amended as 'Plastics Manufacture, Sales & Usage Rules, 2003' on 17th June 2003
The most Important provisions are:
(1) No person shall manufacture, stock, distribute or sell carry bags made of virgin or recycled plastic bags which are less than 20 cms x 30 cms (8x12 inches) in size and which do not conform to the minimum thickness of 20 micron. [For the purposes of this rule, the minimum weight of 50 carry bags made of virgin or recycled plastics shall be 105 gms. plus or minus 5% variation and the carry bags of larger sizes shall be of proportionate increase in weight].
(2) No vendor shall use carry bags made of recycled plastic for storing, carrying, dispensing or packaging of foodstuffs.
(3) No vendor shall use containers made of recycled plastics for storing, carrying, dispensing or packaging of foodstuffs.
(4) Every occupier manufacturing carry bags or containers of virgin plastic or recycled plastic or both shall make an application to the State Pollution Control Board for grant of registration or renewal of registration for his unit.
(5) Carry bags and containers made of virgin plastic shall be in natural shade or white.